HomeNewsFootballBelgium

Belgian Pro League delays rights decision

The Pro League, the top division of club football in Belgium, has delayed a decision on its next set of domestic broadcast rights until May 2.

The Pro League last month said it had received offers from 10 interested parties and discussed the matter at its general assembly meeting yesterday (Monday).

The tender for rights from the 2017-18 season was sent out on February 8. It covers rights to all Pro League matches and the Super Cup, in the Dutch and French languages. Rights are split into six sets of packages.

The deadline for offers was March 15 and the Pro League’s Ad Hoc Committee, which is chaired by Pro League chief executive Pierre François and includes representatives from the league and the MP & Silva agency, have been studying the bids.

The Sudinfo.be website said international sports broadcaster Eleven Sports remains the favourite in the rights process, with international sports broadcaster Eurosport also in contention. Current rights holders – pay-television operators Proximus, Telenet and Voo – are also said to have lodged bids.

The league was said to be keen for a final decision to be reached at yesterday’s meeting, but said it will now meet again on May 2 with the process set to be concluded.

MP & Silva advises the Pro League on the sale of all media rights in a six-season deal, running from 2014-15 to 2019-20.