Crisis-hit Bosnia and Herzegovinian Radio and Television has reached a last-minute agreement with the European Broadcasting Union consortium of public-service broadcasters that will allow it to show the Uefa Euro 2016 national team football tournament.
EBU member BHRT is under severe financial pressure and recently announced it would be forced to stop broadcasting at the end of June. Last month the EBU announced it was owed over CHF6m (€5.4m/$6.1m) by the broadcaster, including a payment for rights to Euro 2016, which commences in France tomorrow (Friday).
The broadcaster holds rights to a number of sports properties but has struggled financially for some time and, should it suspend broadcasting as planned, Bosnia and Herzegovina would be the only country in Europe to not have an active public-service broadcaster.
However, the EBU has now said BHRT will continue broadcasting until at least the end of Euro 2016 on July 10, by which time it hopes to have obtained a financial agreement with authorities.
EBU director general Ingrid Deltenre said: “We have had productive talks with BHRT over the last week and are pleased to have reached an agreement to continue providing member services including access to Uefa Euro 2016 and the News Exchange.
“The situation in Bosnia and Herzegovina remains critical but we are hopeful that BHRT will be able to agree a plan with the government to help repay their debts and safeguard sustainable funding to allow audiences to continue to enjoy sport on the channel throughout the summer.”
Bosnia and Herzegovina has not qualified for Euro 2016.